Another tried and tested recipe for you!
Leeks have upped their game here and are now the perfect side dish for your meal… especially if you’re a lover of cheese, like me!
We served our cheesy leeks with belly pork & mash and it will definitely be going on our menu again!
1 large leek
1 tablespoon cooking oil or butter
1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
200 ml milk
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
80 g mature cheddar (finely grated and divided)
Salt and pepper
1) Finely slice the leek then wash thoroughly and drain well.
2) Place a medium sized pan over a low to medium heat then add the oil or butter and the leek and cook, lid on but stirring often, until the leek has fully softened – 10 to 15 minutes.* Meanwhile, warm the milk so that it is hot but not scalding.
3) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350F).
4) When the leeks are soft and the juices have evaporated lower the heat. Add the flour and stir in, cooking for a minute or so, then pour in the hot milk and stir into the leeks.
5) Bring to a gentle simmer. Now add the mustard, ¾ of the cheese and the pepper and combine. Check the seasoning adding salt if necessary.
6) Pour the leeks into an oven dish, sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese and place into the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Serve and enjoy!
As always, if you do try any of the recipes I have shared, please share them to your stories and tag me on Instagram @notsofarmerswife as I would love to see them!